23-month-old dies after choking on food at Gatineau daycare, police confirm

Gatineau Police confirm a 23-month-old boy has died after choking on some food at a Masson-Angers daycare.

The incident happened Friday morning. The child was rushed to CHEO is serious condition.

Police are now saying the family has confirmed the child has passed away. The investigation is ongoing with the help of the Coroner. An autopsy will be performed to confirm the cause of death.

Police do not suspect any criminal element in this case.

The family has asked for privacy, but relayed through police that they are grateful for the excellent care their child received from the medical team at the hospital.