Councillor questions business promotion involving tragic fire

Kanata councillor Allan Hubley says he's concerned that a local company is jumping the gun, as it promotes its products after Wednesday morning's fire that critically burned a 19-month-old boy.

In a news release, Rumidifier says the tragedy would have been avoided if their product had been in use, because their humidifiers don't use electricity.

There have been reports that an electric humidifer may have caused the blaze, but Ottawa fire investigators say they haven't yet pinpointed what set off the tragedy.

Hubley says the company is premature in its statement.

"You don't want people throwing out their humidifiers - we're not at that point," Hubley said.

"If there was any indication that, for sure, it was the humidifier, the fire department would be issuing some sort of notice."

The Kanata-based firm says it will be offering price discounts over the next month and donating a portion of each sale to CHEO and the family.

The company received funding from Invest Ottawa, the city's investment arm, during it's start-up phase.

In a statement, officials say Invest Ottawa doesn't endorse the message the company has issued, nor is it how it counsels its companies to communicate to consumers.