Errant cigarette to blame for balcony fire in Sandy Hill
Ottawa Fire says the careless tossing of a cigarette is to blame for a fire in Sandy Hill Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to 393 Wiggins Private, near Chapel Crescent, at 12:27 p.m. on reports of smoke and flames. Neighbours said they also heard loud bangs.
The fire was found on a second-floor balcony. The loud pops were caused by fuel canisters.
Firefighters kept the blaze confined to the balcony and had it under control in about ten minutes.
No one was hurt and fire officials say the damage was minimal.
Firefighters are reminding residents to dispose of smoking material in deep, sturdy ashtrays and confirm butts are fully extinguished in water or sand. They also ask you do not store combustibles or fuels on a balcony.
LISTEN NOW: Is Trump going to bring change to Afghanistan?
LISTEN NOW: Immigration overflow falls on Trudeau, Rempel says
LISTEN NOW: Should we have looked at Trudeau’s political philosophies more?