Ottawa Police rescue woman from human trafficking
The Ottawa Police Human Trafficking Unit say they've rescued a woman from historical human trafficking.
Police say a woman in her early 20's came forward in late September, with claims of offences that took place over a number of years.
Police say they identified the suspect and arrested 28-year-old Miguel Ortiz of Ottawa on October 9th.
Ortiz is facing the following charges:
* Trafficking in persons by recruiting x 2
* Financial/material benefit/trafficking person over 18 x 1
* Point a firearm x 1
* Possess weapon, etc./for committing an offence x 1
* Assault with weapon or imitation weapon x 1
* Aggravated assault x 1
* Harassment by threatening conduct to other person x 1
* Uttering threats/death or bodily harm x 1
He appeared in show cause court today.
The human trafficking unit assisted the female survivor and brought her to a place of safety.
Police believe there could be more victims as well. They say Ortiz is also know as "Angel" and "Diablo".
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 613-236-1222, ext. 5005.