Ottawa Westjet flights linked to measles outbreak in Toronto
If you flew WestJet into or out of Ottawa on March 22nd, you may have been exposed to the measles.
WestJet is confirming that one of its crew members has been diagnosed with the measles following a warning from Toronto Public Health.
There have been three confirmed cases of the measles this week in the Greater Toronto Area. Health officials say one of the people caught the disease in another country, while the other two cases involved Toronto residents who were exposed to a person with measles who lives outside the GTA.
Two of the WestJet flights listed in the advisory are connected to the Capital:
- WestJet flight WS610, departed Calgary at 10:15 am and arrived in Ottawa at 3:47 pm
- WestJet flight WS369, departed Ottawa at 4:40 pm and arrived in Toronto at 5:42 pm
Toronto Public Health says the risk is low but, if you were on these flights, you're being advised to double-check your immunization records and keep an eye out for symptoms of the measles.
Ottawa Public Health says there are no confirmed cases of the measles in Ottawa at this time.
According to the Mayo Clinic, measles symptoms include fever, dry cough, a runny nose, a sore throat, inflamed eyes, followed by tiny, white spots inside the mouth and a skin rash made up of large, flat blotches. Symptoms typically appear 10 to 14 days after exposure to the virus.
Health officials are also advising travelers on the following flights to check their status and watch for symptoms.
- Emirates Airline flight EK517, which left Delhi, India on March 19 and arrived in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Emirates Airline flight EK241, which departed Dubai, March 20 bound for Toronto.
- WestJet flight WS450, departed Abbotsford, B.C. on March 22 and arrived in Calgary.
- WestJet flight which departed Toronto on March 23 and arrived in Montreal.
- Westjet flight WS581, which departed Montreal on March 24 and arrived in Toronto.
- WestJet flight WS2668, which left Toronto for the Turks and Caicos Islands on March 24.
- WestJet flight WS2669, which left Turks and Caicos Islands for Toronto on March 24.
With files from the Canadian Press.