A wave of panic rattles Hawaii after false missile alert
Hawaii residents were left shaken by the second recent blunder in Hawaii's planning for a possible North Korean nuclear attack.
An emergency alert warning of an imminent missile strike sounded on hundreds of thousands of cellphones. A second alert saying there was no missile didn't come for nearly 40 minutes.
The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency's administrator, Vern Miyagi, said he took responsibility for the mistake. The state also had problems last month when it reintroduced the Cold War-era warning siren tests.
The state adjutant general, Maj. Gen. Joe Logan, said a written report would be prepared. State lawmakers announced they would hold a hearing next Friday.
Hawaii House Speaker Scott Saiki said the system Hawaii residents have been told to rely on failed miserably.