Another St.Catharines resident suffers serious injuries following grease fire

Another St.Catharines resident has suffered serious injuries in a kitchen grease fire.

Firefighters responded to reports of smoke at 515 Carlton Street on the holiday Monday (July 3) at around 4 p.m.

The resident was cooking with grease when the pot ignited.

The resident sustained third degree burns when moving the burning pot outside the home.

Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick says grease fires are dangerous but injuries are preventable if you are paying attention to what you’re doing and can act quickly and appropriately if something starts to get out-of-hand.

He is reminding residents to never move a burning pot or try to put out a grease fire with water.

McCormick says you should always have a lid ready so if a pot happens to catch fire you can simply cover it and switch the heat off to contain the fire quickly.

The resident is recovering in hospital.

The Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal was called in to investigate due to the seriousness of the injuries.

One other occupant escaped the fire without injuries.

The fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damage.


 

  • Niagara Votes

    Check out the Niagara Votes section of our website for candidate information and the latest news related to the upcoming 2018 Municipal Election.