Port Colborne tenant pleads guilty to disabling smoke alarm
A Port Colborne tenant has been fined $750 after pleading guilty to disabling a smoke alarm in an apartment.
Port Colborne Fire Services responded to a call at an apartment building at 45 Victoria Street on July 2nd. When crews arrived heavy smoke was already billowing from a third floor balcony.
Fire fighters quickly put out the blaze, avoiding major structure damage, but a cat died in the fire.
Fire Chief Tom Cartwright says this once again brings home the importance of working smoke alarms, especially during Fire Prevention Week.