Ontario's basic-income pilot project will end in 8 months
Ontario's basic-income pilot project, which was launched by the former Liberal government and was aimed at lifting people out of poverty, will end on March 31, 2019.
The Progressive Conservative government says the final payments to the 4,000 low-income recipients in several cities will be made on that date.
The Tories announced last month they would wind down the project, which was launched in 2017 and was set to run for three years.
Under the program, single participants receive up to $16,989 a year while couples receive up to $24,027, less 50 per cent of any earned income.
The Tories had promised during the spring election to preserve the pilot, but the government later said it would reverse course because the program was failing.
Ontario has promised to complete a review of the province's social assistance programs by Nov. 8.
Tim Denis Roundtable (Walter Sendzik, Tisha Polocko)
Tim Denis Roundtable (Mario De Divitiis, Shelley Chemnitz)
Tim and Shelby Speak with Brian Heit Regional Councillor St. Catharines