St. Catharines Fire Department marks Emergency Preparedness Week
Members of the St. Catharines Fire Department are sharing a list of 10 things you should have in your home emergency kit as we mark Emergency Preparedness Week.
Some of the essentials noted by Acting Fire Chief Jeff McCormick include:
- Water (at least a three day supply for each family member, including small bottles in case of evacuation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of ready-to-eat food that won't spoil and can be easily prepared without cooking and little to no water)
- Manual Can Opener
- Wind-up or battery-powered radio, flashlights, and extra batteries
- A change of clothing and footwear
- Blankets and sleeping bags
- Photocopies of important family documents in a waterproof containers (identification, insurance and bank records, photos, lists of medications)
- Money (small bills and change)
- Extra house and car keys
Crews from the fire department will be at Market Square on Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. to discuss emergency planning.