Watch out for new scam
The South Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is receiving calls from concerned residents regarding emails claiming that users have been recorded while watching pornographic websites. The email states if "payment" of bitcoins isn't received a video clip will be sent to everyone on their email and social media contact lists.
If you receive one of these messages, please be aware that this is a scam. If you've been "locked out" of your computer, this is an indication that your computer system may have been infected with malware and you will need to take steps to address the problem with a legitimate computer repair service.
Here are some tips to help protect your computer:
· Never download anti-virus software from a pop-up or link sent to you.
· Don't click on links or attachments in emails sent to you by someone you don't know.
· Turn on your browser's pop-up blocking feature.
· Never click on a pop up that claims your computer has a virus.
· Always update your anti-virus software and operating systems regularly.
· Cover your webcam when not in use.
Anyone interested in more information on fraud can contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1 888 495 8501 or check online at http://www.antifraudcentre.ca/