Smoking in Bed Leads to Early Morning House Fire

Smoking in bed is to blame for a Thursday morning house fire on Grouse Crescent.

Kingston Fire and Rescue (KFR) say a neighbour called 911 after noticing smoke coming from the home and heard active smoke detector.

A woman and a cat were rescued from the home around 4:45 a.m. and the woman was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

The blaze caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, however if it were not for the neighbours emergency call, the results could have been much worse.

The mattress was removed from the home and placed on the lawn where it re-ignited around 8:11 a.m. but was quickly put out again.

KFR reminds to public to not smoke in bed and check smoke alarms once a month.