Sara Gilbert Stands Behind Roseanne Cancellation as Ex Tom Arnold Weighs In
Roseanne star and executive producer Sara Gilbert is speaking out for the first time since ABC decided to pull the plug on the successful revival.
"I would like to say this has been a very difficult week," she said on her other show, CBS’ The Talk Monday. "A lot of people have been hurt by this. I will say I’m proud of the show we made. This show has always been about diversity, love and inclusion. And it’s sad to see it end in this way. I’m sad for the people who lost their jobs in the process. However, I do stand behind the decision ABC made."
- ABC made the decision last Tuesday after the titular star Roseanne Barr went on an anti-Semitic and racist rant on Twitter. In one tweet, Barr compared Barack Obama's former aide Valerie Jarrett to an ape. Gilbert, who plays her daughter on the show, decried her comments on Twitter.
- "Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least," she wrote.
- She added in a second tweet, "This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love — one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member."
- ABC is reportedly in the process of attempting to resuscitate the show without Barr, possibly with Gilbert’s character as a central figure.
TOM ARNOLD SPEAKS OUT
- Barr’s ex-husband Tom Arnold, 59, also spoke out Monday, saying that Barr, 65, is "obviously" a racist.
- "It turns out she’s a huge Donald Trump supporter," he told Good Morning Britain. "We’ve known Donald Trump for 30 years, so that surprised me. You know, I see her social media, she’s one of those conspiracy people. There’s a lot of them in America. Our president, he’s a racist. I mean, he feeds into this conspiracy stuff — there’s so much anxiety in our country. So I read her social media and I’m like, ‘Oh my God. She thinks that Donald Trump is about ready to arrest Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama, send him to Guantanamo.’ "