Trump Commutes Alice Johnson's Sentence After Meeting With Kim Kardashian
President Donald Trump has commuted the sentence of Alice Johnson, 63, a low-level drug offender. Kim Kardashian has been working to have the great-grandmother’s life sentence commuted, and she met with Trump last week at the White House to discuss her effort.
Their conversation has been credited by many as the reason behind Trump's commutation.
- Both Trump and Kardashian were widely mocked for the meeting. The press coverage of the meeting was then also lambasted on social media. (The New York Post drew outrage with the headlines “Trump meets Rump” and “The other big a– summit,” a reference to Trump’s postponed meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un).
- Kardashian tweeted her delight at the decision, writing “BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!”
- She followed it up, tweeting: “So grateful to @realDonaldTrump, Jared Kushner & to everyone who has showed [sic] compassion & contributed countless hours to this important moment for Ms. Alice Marie Johnson. Her commutation is inspirational & gives hope to so many others who are also deserving of a second chance.”
- And then: “I hope to continue this important work by working together with organizations who have been fighting this fight for much longer than I have and deserve the recognition.”
- Reaction on social was mixed, with some pointing out that other prominent social justice reformers’ refusal to meet with Trump for ideological reasons has done nothing but “disenfranchise” everyone, while others tweeted at Kardashian with other ideas for her to pitch at Trump (acknowledging the Armenian Genocide was a popular one) and still others bemoaning the fact that “this is what America has come to.”