Black Panther Wins Big At The 50th Annual NAACP Image Awards
Black Panther took home the biggest award of the night at the 50th annual NAACP Image Awards on Saturday night (March 30th). The box-office hit won the award for Outstanding Motion Picture, while Chadwick Boseman — who starred the film, snagged the award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture.
Black-ish also won big. The sitcom won the award for Outstanding Comedy Series, while Anthony Anderson -- who hosted the event, won Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series, Tracee Ellis Ross won Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series, Marcus Scribner won Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series and Marsai Martin won Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.
Other winners included Beyoncé, who took home Entertainer of the year. JAY-Z also received the President’s Award and dedicated it to his grandmother, Hattie White, his mother, Gloria Carter and his wife, Beyoncé. Omari Hardwick walked away with the award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Power, and Power won Outstanding Drama Series.
Congresswoman Maxine Waters received the NAACP Chairman’s Award and in her speech, she addressed receiving death threats, she called for President Trump to be impeached and declared that she "got the gavel and I'm not afraid to use it."
Chris Rock also provided a few laughs when he roasted Jussie Smollett and his recent incident in Chicago. Rock said, "They said no Jussie Smollett jokes. I know. What a waste of light skin, you know? You know what I could do with that light skin? That curly hair? My career would be outta here, I’d be running Hollywood." He later added, "What the hell was he thinking? From now on I ain't never gonna (say) no Jussie -- you're a Jessie from now on. You don't get the 'u' no more. That 'u' was respect. You don't get no respect from me."
- Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture: Chadwick Boseman – Black Panther
- Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series: Taraji P. Henson – Empire
- Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series: Anthony Anderson – Black-ish
- Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series: Omari Hardwick – Power
- Outstanding Album: Ella Mai – Ella Mai
- Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series: Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
- Outstanding Comedy Series – Black-Ish
- Outstanding Breakthrough Performance: Motion Picture: Letitia Wright – Black Panther
- Outstanding Drama Series – Power
- Outstanding Actress: Motion Picture: Amandla Stenberg – The Hate U Give
- Outstanding Motion Picture – Black Panther
- Entertainer of the Year – Beyoncé