Mira Sorvino Says She Will Celebrate When Weinstein Is in Jail
Mira Sorvino is one of the more than 80 women who have come forward accusing Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct, including rape.
On Wednesday, she appeared on The Today Show and The View to discuss her thoughts on Weinstein being arrested and charged with rape and a criminal sex act. (Weinstein denies all allegations of nonconsensual sex.)
- Sorvino said of Weinstein’s arrest on Today: "It feels like a really good first step. It’s him finally facing real, real criminal consequences for his criminal behavior and so for that I feel gratified, but honestly last weekend was a very emotional one and I cried many times because just seeing him brings up a lot of bad feelings and he’s raped many people that I love, so it’s not really a happy occasion. I think maybe there will be some celebration when he gets convicted and goes to jail."
- When Today host Savannah Guthrie praised Sorvino for coming forward and holding the secret, Sorvino said it actually was out in the open.
- "The funny thing is at the time it happened I told everyone I knew and a lot of people will tell you that," said Sorvino. "All these people wrote to me online, ‘I remember you telling me about that.’ Quentin Tarantino corroborated that I told him about it right away that September."
- She added that if she’d known there were so many victims, she would have spoken out before.
- "I think we would have found strength in numbers and we would have done something a lot sooner," she said. "But I did try to do something at the time, I even spoke to someone at Miramax about it and nothing happened and it kind of went away and I tried to go on with my life."
- The 50-year-old won an Oscar for her work in Mighty Aphrodite, and has claimed that he blacklisted her after she rejected his advances, claims others in the industry, including Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, have confirmed.
- On Tuesday, Weinstein pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Mira Sorvino on Harvey Weinstein