Gas leak closes off George St. in Byward Market
A portion of the Byward Market was blocked off Tuesday night after a gas line ruptured along George St.
Some businesses along George St. were closed and evacuated. Others in the area were told to stay indoors. A strong smell of gas could be detected on Rideau Street at the time.
Fire says the leak originated at 60 George Street, a location near the McDonalds restaurant.
Enbridge was on scene as of 11:00 p.m., and gas has been shut off to the line. Ottawa Fire reopened the area shortly after midnight.
No injuries were reported.