Candle causes Kelowna duplex fire

Kelowna fire crews were called to a duplex fire in the 1300 block of Bernard Avenue early Tuesday morning.

When they arrived at around 12:15 am - they found heavy smoke and 15-foot flames shooting from the rear second-floor of the building.

9 adults, an infant, a cat and a dog had been occupying the duplex - one man was taken to hospital with minor smoke inhalation.

Emergency Support Services will help look after the residents, who won't be able to return, because the fire did extensive damage to the second floor of the duplex and extended into the roof/attic space. 

The cause was an unattended candle.