Firefighters douse West Kelowna basement fire

A halogen lightbulb and some nearby paper towel rolls were the cause of a fire up in West Kelowna this morning.

Just before 10:30, 11 firefighters were called to the home on Bridlehill Court, after the fire had started in a basement storage room.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says heat from that fire caused the overhead water line to fail, which ended up helping control the fire until crews got to the house.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames, and had to knock down parts of some walls and a ceiling.

Fortunately, nobody was hurt, and the homeowner is covered by insurance.