Lightning sparks new fires in Okanagan
After a lightning storm in the Okanagan Tuesday night, several new wildfires have popped up on the west side of the Lake.
This includes fires at the following locations:
- Chapperon Creek north of Highway 97 (1 hectare)
- Windy Lake near Pennask Lake Park (0.3 hectares)
- Eof Jackpine Lake near Trepanier Provincial Park (0.01 hectares)
- Southwest of Pennask Mountain (0.01 hectares)
- Sunset Main south of Highway 97 (0.01 hectares)
- Trepanier Creek (0.01 hectares)
- Isintok Lake west of Penticton (0.01 hectares)
The Kamloops Fire Center has confirmed that these wildfires are currently being tended to by fire crews, and are not expected to threaten any nearby properties.
The focus of fire efforts in the Okanagan is still on the larger wildfires, such as the Mount Eneas wildfire, as well as the three fires around Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park.
In total, 132 lightning fires have popped up across BC in the last 24 hours, bringing the number of lightning fires in the province up to just over 300.