Local firefighters deal with a couple of blazes

Two West Kelowna residents escaped a house fire thanks to working smoke alarms early Tuesday morning.

Just before 2:00 am, West Kelowna firefighters responded to a 9-1-1 call to a home in the 1400 block of West Kelowna Road.  

A portable space heater short circuited and caught nearby furniture on fire.

The residents of the home were alerted by smoke alarms and knocked the blaze down with fire extinguishers.

Assistant Fire Chief Darren Lee says smoke damage is extensive in the home.  

He adds that almost 20% of all fire deaths are caused by heating equipment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illegal fireworks set off a hedge fire in Rutland Tuesday night.

It happened just after 6:00 pm at a home on Primrose Road.  

The cedar hedge was shooting flames high into the air when firefighters arrived, and a nearby storage tent was also ablaze.

One person at the scene admitted to setting off the fireworks and was handed a $250 ticket.  

RCMP are also following up with the same individual.

It is illegal to set off fireworks within the City of Kelowna without a proper permit.