Okanagan Marathon this weekend in Kelowna
The Okanagan Marathon is taking place this Saturday and Sunday (Oct. 7 & 8).
The event consists of a 5K Fun Run, 1KM Kids Run and Sports Expo on Saturday, and a 10K, half marathon, full marathon and Sports Expo on Sunday.
To accommodate the event, there will be a number of road closures on Sunday, and some parking restrictions throughout the weekend.
North end (North of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., unless otherwise noted:
- Abbott Street (from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue)
- Bernard Avenue (from Abbott Street to Water Street)
- Water Street (from Bernard Avenue to Sunset Drive)
- Water Street (between Sunset Drive and Ellis Street) open to local traffic and vehicles exiting the area
- Sunset Drive (from Water Street to Manhattan Drive) open to southbound vehicle traffic - no parking permitted
- Ellis Street (from Recreation Avenue to Broadway Avenue) open to northbound vehicle traffic until 12:30 p.m.
- Mill Street (from Bernard Avenue to Queensway Avenue)
- Manhattan Drive and Recreation Avenue between Sunset Drive and Richter Street (closed until 12:15 p.m.)
- Weddell Place, Trench Place, Ethel Street, Bay Avenue and Jones Street and Broadway Avenue (until 12:30 p.m. – local traffic access only)
- Manhattan Drive and Guy Street (open to local traffic only in a clockwise pattern; enter and exit at Bay Avenue, until 12:30 p.m.)
Richter Street remains open to vehicle traffic, but expect delays when participants cross at Recreation Avenue until 12 p.m.
South end (South of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Local traffic is allowed, but can expect delays.
Vehicles looking to access the south end of the city (south of Barrera Road/Casorso Road) are encouraged to use Gordon Drive to avoid road closures and delays. Pandosy Street will remain open; however, expect delays as runners cross at West Avenue and Swordy Road.
- No access to Abbott Street (southbound) from Highway 97. Vehicle traffic should turn south at Pandosy Street
- Meikle Avenue, Walnut Street and Watt Road closed to southbound traffic; northbound enter at Watt Road
- Lakeshore Road at Swordy Road; participants will be crossing; expect delays.
- Swordy Road (from Lakeshore Road to Casorso Road)
- Casorso Road (from Swordy Road to KLO Road) closed to northbound traffic only; southbound traffic allowed, expect delays
- Raymer Avenue (from Gosnell Road to Pandosy Street)
- Richter Street at Raymer Avenue – participants will be crossing; expect delays
- Tutt Street (from Raymer Avenue to West Avenue)
- West Avenue (from Tutt Street to Abbott Street) expect delays as participants cross Pandosy Street at West Avenue
- City Park parking lot will be closed to the public on Saturday, October 7 and Sunday, October 8.
- Bernard Avenue (from Abbott Street to Water Street) and Abbott Street (from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue), from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Sunday, October 8 to accommodate the road closure.
Transit customers can expect minor delays for routes #1, #2, #8, #12 and #97. There will be no service for the #2 North End Shuttle along Water Street between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Visit bctransit.com for route and schedule information.
Motorists are asked to plan ahead and yield to participants on roadways and pathways.
For more information about the Okanagan Marathon, visit okanaganmarathon.ca.