Penticton RCMP release more details on shootings

RCMP are confirming a 60 year-old man is in custody in relation to a fatal shooting in Penticton. 

This morning at 10:30, Penticton South Okanagan Similkameen (PSOS) Regional Police officers were called to the area of Westminster Avenue and Haynes Street for a report that a man had been shot.

PSOS Regional Police officers with support from the RCMP Police Dog Service and RCMP Air Services immediately flooded the area in an effort to locate the male suspect. While police were en route, a second caller reported another person had been shot.

At approximately 11:30 am, a man matching the suspects description turned himself into the Penticton RCMP detachment. The man remains in custody while the investigation progresses. Preliminary indications are this was a targeted incident.

A thorough sweep of the area was conducted and police identified multiple locations in which there were several confirmed victims.  Police have determined four people are deceased at three locations within a 5 km radius.  The BC Coroners Services has been notified. The identities of the deceased will not be confirmed unless there is an investigative need to do so.

Penticton South Okanagan Similkameen (PSOS) Regional General Investigation Section (GIS) has lead on the fatal shooting investigation. Additional resources from the RCMPs Southeast District, including Investigators from the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU), have been called in to assist.

"I understand that this is a deeply troubling incident that has taken place in our community," said Superintendent Ted De Jager, Penticton South Okanagan Similkameen Regional Detachment Commander. "Determining why this occurred is part of our ongoing investigation."  De Jager added, "our hearts and thoughts are with all those impacted by this terribly tragic incident. Our priority now, will be to speak with the families of those involved and offer our support."

The names of the victims, two men and two women, will not be released until next of kin have been notified.