Sandbag Removal Starts
The Emergency Operations Centre is removing most of its flood protection measures and residents can start doing the same.
Residents who have sandbags on their properties can return them to authorized locations, with the sand still in the bags:
- Cook Road Boat Launch outside the Hotel Eldorado on Cook Road in Kelowna
- Marshall Park (16411 Carrs Landing Rd.)
- Kopje Park (15490 Carrs Landing Rd.)
- Oyama Firehall (15656 Oyama Rd.)
- Beasley Park (11471 Reiswig Rd.)
- Falcon Park (1343 – 1339 Green Bay Rd.)
- Beechnut Park (2407 Whitworth Rd. and 2395 George Crt.)
- Casa Loma Beach Park (2606 Casa Loma Rd).
- Sternwheeler Park (1653 – 1649 Pritchard Dr.)
Westbank First Nation
- Government office parking lot (515 Highway 97 South)
- 13th Street and San Clemente Avenue (4217 San Clemente Ave.)
Regional District of Central Okanagan:
- Two firehalls in Joe Rich (114881 Highway 33 and 6550 Goudie Rd.)
- Short’s Creek Firehall (7355 Westside Rd.)
- Wilson’s Landing Firehall (2396 Westside Rd.)
- Ellison Firehall (4111 Old Vernon Rd.)
Check out this MAP if you're unfamiliar with where those places are. Sandbags will be accepted until the end of Thursday, June 28.
Residents should take precautions when working around stagnant water as sandbags may contain mould. N95 respirators, nitrile gloves and rubber boots are recommended, and thoroughly wash hands and clothes after handling the bags.
The log boom near Hot Sands Beach in Kelowna will be removed on Friday, June 15. The log booms near Swim Bay in Peachland and Maude-Roxby Bird Sanctuary in Kelowna will remain in place until Okanagan Lake drops to the full pool level of 342.48 m. As of this morning, Thursday, June 14th, the lake is at 342.62 m.