UPDATED: Alleged Penticton shooter charged

UPDATED

Police are releasing new details about a series of shootings in Penticton.

At a press conference, Superintendent Ted De Jager confirmed that 68-year-old John Brittain has been arrested and charged after four people were shot and killed on Monday.

Brittain appeared at the Penticton Law Courts on Tuesday morning, where he was formally charged with three counts of first degree murder and one count of second degree murder. 

According to Penticton RCMP, Brittain turned himself in on Monday afternoon. He was not armed at the time and police would not comment on his demeanor.

Even as charges have been laid, the police investigation continues at a pair of neighbouring homes in the Cornwall area where three of the murders took place; as well as a house on Heales Avenue. Along with physical evidence, Penticton RCMP are hoping to uncover a motive in the shooting deaths.

Witnesses have said a rifle was used to carry out the murders. De Jager refused to release the names of the deceased but said the victims and the accused all knew each other.

"If anyone has any information that can assist with understanding what took place prior to the shootings or the circumstances, please contact the Penticton RCMP"

Following the police update, Mayor John Vassilaki confirmed that Brittain had previously worked for the City of Penticton Engineering Department. He described Brittain as a "gentle" man who was eventually forced to retire due to illness.

Brittain is due to appear in court again on May 8th.


ORIGINAL

68-year-old John Brittain has been charged with four counts of murder following a series of shootings in Penticton Monday.

According to provincial court records, he appeared at 10:20AM this morning in the Penticton Law Courts.

Local RCMP will provide an update on the case at 11AM. The press conference will be streamed live by CTV.