Walk for ALS this Sunday

The annual Walk for ALS returns to Kelowna this Sunday, June 8th at 10:30 AM.

The 5 km walk begins at the dolphin statue near Waterfront Park, goes along the beach and the bridge, and then goes back towards the starting point.

The ALS Society of Canada hopes to raise $27,000 in time for the walk, which co-ordinator Nancy Arbuckle says will stay in BC to help the 400 patients affected by ALS.

“60 percent of the fundraising is for patient care and their equipment needs, and then the other 40 percent goes to the ALS Society of Canada for research,” says Arbuckle.

So far, a cure doesn’t look like it’ll be coming anytime soon, but Arbuckle says it’s a priority in the medical world.

“The research has come a long way in the last 10 years,” says Arbuckle. “They need to find what causes it and then they need to work on the cure, so that it can be a curable disease instead of a terminal one.”

An estimated 3,000 Canadians are living with ALS, with two to three dying each day from the disease, which attacks the motor neurons in the body, leading to loss of mobility and muscle use. 80 percent of ALS patients die within the first two to five years after being diagnosed.

For more information on how to register for Sunday’s Walk, or on how to donate, go to alsbc.ca.