West Kelowna parks re-open
The City of West Kelowna is pleased to announce that, effective noon tomorrow, parks that were closed earlier this year due to extreme fire hazard will be reopened.
The City closed several community parks on July 18 due to the extreme fire hazard and very dry conditions. With cooler temperatures and showers in the forecast, the City will reopen the following parks by noon on Tuesday, September 12:
- Mt. Boucherie Trails, including Boucherie Rush and Boucherie Grind
- Eain Lamont Park – Lakeview Cove Road
- Rose Valley Trail access – McDougall Road
- Casa Palmero Park and Walkway – Casa Palmero Drive
- Davidson Creek Park – Shannon Woods Drive
- Shannon Way Park – Shannon Way
- Rock Ridge Park – Griffiths Place
- Wild Horse Park – Wild Horse Drive
The public is advised that the fire hazard rating is still high and are asked to use extreme caution when enjoying City parks. Smoking is not allowed in any City parks. Open burning, including campfires and in backyard fire pits, is not allowed anywhere within the City of West Kelowna. The use of fireworks is banned unless express permission is given from West Kelowna Fire Rescue.
Residents should use extreme caution with smoking materials, off road vehicles, and any tools or machinery that may spark, to avoid inadvertently starting a grass or forest fire.