Amherstburg Historic House Receives Designation
An Amherstburg landmark is now designated as a National Historic Site.
Park House Museum has been designated.
The citation indicates it is a rare example of a once-common colonial building type found in settlements and fur trading posts across colonial North America.
Park House was originally built in Detroit near the Rouge River in 1796 by a British loyalist.
After the American Revolution the owner moved to Malden, then the new British fort across the river.
It was disassembled and moved by canoe in 1798, the house was rebuilt in Amherstburg on Lot 17, First Street which is presently Dalhousie Street.
It was moved again to Navy Yard Park where it opened as a museum in 1973.