Legal Challenge over Sex-Ed Curriculum Dismissed

A legal challenge over the province's new sex-ed curriculum has been dismissed in Ontario court.

The Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association argued the changes made by the PC government infringed teachers' freedom of expression and put students at risk.

The province repealed the 2015 curriculum that included warning about online bullying and sexting, same-sex relationships and gender identity.

Lawyers for ETFO argued Premier Doug Ford had issued warnings to teachers who said they would continue to use the old version of the curriculum.

But the Divisional Court ruling released on Thursday pointed out teachers were allowed to go beyond what is in the new curriculum.

There was also no evidence that teachers had been disciplined.

The court said the public statements were 'ill-considered' but did not constitute an infringement of the charter.