LISTEN: Windsor Family Shocked At Lack Of Kalahari Preparedness
One Windsor family is heading home after being in the Kalahari Waterpark when a couple of large sections of ductwork fell in the pool.
Cory Campbell was in the Sandusky, Ohio park with his 12-year-old daughter at the time.
He says the rides and bars remained open for as much as 10 minutes afterwards.
Campbell says it started with a screeching sound around 1 pm.
Duct collapsed into the basketball pool at Kalahari waterpark, Sandusky Ohio, March 12, 2018(Photo courtesy of: Brooke Seff / Twitter)
"A big part of that came off into the basketball, where they play basketball in the pool there. So that and another huge part fell into the wave pool, so nobody really knew what was going on at the beginning there were people running around and crying in hysterics"
Campbell says the staff did not seem to know what to do.
"They were very unprepared, they didn't know what was going on. Like I said the rides were going for 5 or 10 minutes I think the people were on the scene right away and took the people that were injured around but nobody. There were people still trying to serve drinks and like I said It's kind of a big deal that part of the ducting fell off"
Campbell says he and his daughter saw injured people, one was a male lifeguard.
"He came down, blood was running down the top of his head, but he was walking. he must have got hit by some of the stuff falling down so then I walked over there I saw the pipes laying in the water there. And they had I think it was a lifeguard, they had her down stabilized making sure she wasn't moving her neck so that went on for a while. Nobody knew what to do. People were walking around, the rides kept going for 5-10 minutes, I'm surprised they did"
Campbell says the evacuation was disorganized and parents were not allowed in to collect small children in the waterpark area.
He says staff were telling people not to take pictures.
He says he understands it was an accident, but believes the waterpark should have been better prepared for an emergency