Officials Warning Of Post Flooding Health Hazards
After last week's flooding, many basements in the Windsor still have soaking wet carpet, furniture and appliances.
Unfortunately, some homeowners have to wait until an insurance adjuster arrives to get rid of the goods.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is warning about the health hazards this might create including bacteria, mold or even electrical dangers.
Public Health Inspector Stefano DiBlasio says there's a few things to pay special attention to.
"Any items that can absorb water, such as, fabric furniture and toys, flooring like carpeting or insulation or drywall should be removed as soon as possible. Any food that might be contaminated with flood water should also be thrown away as well."
DiBlasio says you may have mold and not even know it.
"Mold can typically grow on any surface as long as the moisture is there. So it's all about cleaning and disinfecting as much as you can and then letting it air dry. Different people will show different sensitivities to mold. They typically resemble allergies, so you can get eye, nose and throat irritation, coughing as well as troubled breathing."
The number one priority should be drying out your basement, "After a flood, the best way to prevent mold in the future is to air out and dry out the area as soon as possible." Says DiBlasio, "Some ways to do that are to include fans in there to increase air circulation and de-humidifiers as well to get rid of some of that humidity."
Windsor has brought in extra trucks as special garbage pick-up continues throughout the city for any flood damaged goods.
The Public Drop Off Depot on Central Ave is open from 8am to 5pm all week as well.
12th Annual New Year's Eve-ning