Strike Continues At Caesars Windsor
Unionized workers at Caesars Windsor remain on the picket line.
"There's no end in sight," says Unifor Local 444 Third Vice-President Doug Boughner. "I'll be honest the company has no interest in meeting with us at this point. We've been reaching out to them daily, they just clearly have no interest right now."
Tuesday is day 26 of the labour dispute and Boughner says no new talks are planned.
He says the two sides have not met since talks broke off on April 18 only after a couple of hours.
"They were very clear when we met the last time, they said there was not another dime out there and our new offer did have some increases so they were clear that there is nothing left," says Boughner. "What's there is what's there and that was it."
The picket line set up by striking casino workers outside Caesars Windsor. April 10, 2018 (Photo by Teresinha Medeiros)
Last week, Caesars cancelled all hotel reservations and postponed all promotions and shows until May 19.
The 2300 workers walked off the job on April 6 after rejecting a proposed three year tentative deal by 59 percent.
The deal had included a 9.5% wage increase over the life of the agreement, a $1150 signing bonus for full-time workers, a 1% increase in pension contributions and improved job security for restaurant workers.
The union was recommending acceptance of the deal.