UPDATE: Detroit Police Locate Person of Interest Following Three Deaths

Police in Detroit have located a man they are calling a "person of interest" in the possible serial killings of three women on the city's east side.

Chief James Craig announced investigators were seeking a man in his mid-30s who's known to be homeless Friday afternoon, but didn't say why the man was a person of interest.

Deangelo Kenneth Martin was taken into custody near 7 Mile Rd. and Gratiot Ave. at around 7:30pm, according to police.

Three women have been found dead in vacant houses since March, the latest one this week.

Only one so far has been ruled a homicide but Mayor Mike Duggan says there's a "strong possibility" that one person is responsible for the three deaths.

Craig suspects two of the dead women worked in the sex trade. Craig said Friday the third victim was a 55-year-old woman but he withheld her identity because her family had not yet been notified.

Police in city continue going door-to-door of vacant homes, searching for additional victims of a possible serial killer.

A news conference was held in the Motor City on Friday to update the community on the situation.

Mayor, Mike Duggan announced that police will immediately start inspecting abandoned houses in certain areas of Detroit and adds the houses will then be boarded up by other crews. He says 1,000 houses on the east side and 1,000 on the west side need to be sealed.

— with files from Metro Source.
 

— With files from The Canadian Press