UPDATE: Firefighter, Resident Sent To Hospital After Apartment Fire (VIDEO)
Three people are without a home and a resident and a firefighter were sent to hospital after a blaze at an apartment building at 1534 Ouellette Ave. on Saturday.
The firefighter was sent to hospital after being bit in the face by a dog during the response. He has since been treated and released from hospital.
"My understanding was that he went to pick the dog up to remove him from the building and was bitten in the face," says John Lee, fire prevention officer with Windsor Fire and Rescue Services.
Lee says dealing with dogs and other animals comes with job sometimes.
"Occassionally there are some animal bites," says Lee. I'm sure the dog was scared with smoke and all that and as a result when he attempted to pick him up he was bitten."
Meantime, the resident sent to hospital has been treated for minor smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.
Apartment fire at 1534 Ouellette Ave (Photo by AM800's Ricardo Veneza)
Firefighters were called to the scene around 11:30am.
There were 14 residents in the building in total that had to be let out while crews dealt with the blaze.
A bus was brought in as temporary shelter to keep the residents warm as temperatures hovered around -14 C (7 F) without the wind chill. Environment Canada has put Windsor-Essex under an extreme cold warning.
A fire investigator attended the scene and determined the flames started in the eating area of the kitchen in Unit 15 of the buidling causing $80,000 damage. The cause behind the kitchen fire couldn't be determined exactly. The fire is not thought to be suspicous.
Ouellette Ave. between Hanna St. E and Shepherd St. E wasclosed to traffic in both directions as crews responded to the fire. The roadway was re-opened shortly before 3pm.
Red Cross is helping the three people left without a home as the deep freeze continues in the region.
Hear + Now Concert Series with Leighton Bain and Andrew MacLeod at Muscedere Vineyards