VIDEO: Windsor Man Tosses First Octopus On Little Caesar's Arena Ice

A Windsor man will forever be remembered for bringing a little piece of hockey history to the new home of the Detroit Red Wings.

Nick Horvath decided to say hello to the Little Caesar's' Arena the same way he said goodbye to The Joe — by chucking the first Octopus onto the ice at Thursday's home opener.

A lifelong Wing's fan, the 30 year old has taken in hundreds of games over the years. The shift worker says he was initially going to skip the home opener after an exhausting night at work, but he decided to power through.

Armed with an 8 lb behemoth he wrapped in plastic and smuggled in secured to his gut, he made his way to the glass to continue a tradition dating back to 1952.

"There's security or an usher standing at the glass facing the ice. I'm coming up behind him and he turned around as I'm pretty much getting ready to wheel this thing," says Horvath. "He's trying to stop me, and I'm just going nope, no way you're stopping this from happening right now."

Horvath told AM800 News it didn't take long for staff to get to him, but another octopus wielding fan took the opportunity to follow suit.

"Right away he grabbed me by the back of my jersey, I didn't care at this point because everyone's cheering," he says. "I turn around and there's another guy with an octopus who's hesitant now to throw it because he sees I'm getting grabbed up. So I yell to throw it and he throws his and boom, everyone erupts again. He takes off and buddy just kind of walks me out."

Despite being notified of a summons for a misdemeanour charge, and being asked not to return to the home of his beloved Red Wings, Horvath says he doesn't regret a thing.

"One-hundred-thousand per cent it was worth it, I wouldn't change a thing," says Horvath. "If I could go back, I'd get a bigger octopus and do it, I've got no worries right now, I'll figure this out, whatever needs to happen."

Horvath plans on paying a ticket issued for the incident and honouring his promise to appear in court.

"I'm Canadian, they told me they could have held me [to appear in court], but they didn't," he says. "They had me down underneath the stands ... everyone was just doing their jobs, they were very professional, they told me I'd get a summons in the mail and to make sure I showed up."

A chuckling Horvath told AM800 his boss probably wouldn't find his story amusing if he didn't make it back for his shift Thursday night, but he did.

He hopes to some day be allowed to take in a game again.