19-year-old will not be charged in FOIPOP breach: police
The 19-year-old alleged to have breached a government freedom-of-information website will not face charges.
Halifax Regional Police announced Monday they've concluded their investigation into a data breach that was reported to the police on April 7th.
They say it was determined there were no grounds to lay charges in the matter.
In a release, Superintendent Jim Perrin says the Halifax man who was arrested on April 11th did not have intent to commit a criminal offence by accessing the information.
The province has said about 700 people were affected by the alleged breach of the 7,000 documents accessed between March 3th and March 5th.
Premier Stephen McNeil initially referred to the man's actions as "stealing," as his government faced opposition criticism for its alleged failure to ensure sensitive information on the site was properly protected with passwords and firewalls.
Government announced last week that it has found 11 other instances of "unusual activity" on the website, saying 900 of the same documents were downloaded and that they were notifying 53 people whose "sensitive personal information" was accessed.
(With files The Canadian Press)