Chronicle Herald buys all Transcontinental Inc. newspapers in Atlantic Canada
Transcontinental Inc. has announced that all Atlantic Canadian publications are being sold to SaltWire Network Inc., which publishes the Chronicle Herald among others.
The sale, which is effective immediately, includes the Truro Daily News, Colchester Weekly News, The News in New Glasgow, The Citizen Record, and the Amherst News.
In total, Transcontinental says the deal involves 28 brands and web-related properties, four printing plants, commercial printing activities in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, and distribution in Atlantic Canada.
TC Media will remain the owner of the two plants operated within its printing division, which are located in Halifax and Borden-Carleton, P.E.I.
A news release today says approximately 650 TC Media employees in Atlantic Canada are part of the transaction, and will receive an offer from SaltWire Network Inc.
Julia Kamula, Senior Vice President, Local Solutions, for TC Media, says this is the best decision for the continued sustainability of these operations.
The TC Media newspapers included in this transaction are (from the news release):
- Advertiser (The), Grand Falls-Windsor, N.L.
- Amherst News, N.S.
- Annapolis Valley Register (The), N.S.
- Aurora (The), Labrador, N.L.
- Beacon (The), Gander, N.L.
- Cape Breton Post, N.S.
- Citizen Record (The), Amherst, N.S.
- Colchester Weekly News, N.S.
- Compass (The), Carbonear, N.L.
- Guardian (The), Charlottetown, P.E.I.
- Gulf News (The), Port aux Basques, N.L.
- Journal-Pioneer (The), Summerside, P.E.I.
- Labradorian (The), Labrador, N.L.
- News (The), New Glasgow, N.S.
- Northern Pen (The), St. Anthony, N.L.
- Nor'wester (The), Springdale, N.L.
- Packet (The), Clarenville, N.L.
- Pilot (The), Lewisporte, N.L.
- Queens County Advance (The), N.S.
- Sackville Tribune Post, N.B.
- Southern Gazette (The), Marystown, N.L.
- Telegram (The), St. John's, N.L.
- Tri-County Extra (The), N.S.
- Tri-County Vanguard (The), N.S.
- Truro Daily News, N.S.
- Valley Journal Advertiser, N.S.
- Western Star (The), Corner Brook, N.L
The www.novanewsnow.com website (digital-only) is also included in the transaction.
The printing plants operated within the Media Sector, and that are now owned by SaltWire Network Inc., are:
- "Austin Dr." in St. John's, N.L.
- "Columbus Dr." in St. John's, N.L.
- "West St." in Corner Brook, N.L.
- "George St." in Cape Breton, N.S.