Judge orders release of evidence in N.S. intimate photo case
A Nova Scotia judge has ordered that additional evidence be released to the media in a case involving the alleged sharing of intimate images by teenagers without consent.
Six Nova Scotia teenaged boys are charged with sharing images of at least 20 high school girls in Bridgewater, N.S.
Last year, the CBC successfully argued for the release of a redacted version of a search warrant in the case, which said police uncovered up to 75 intimate images of teenage girls.
The CBC's lawyer, Nancy Rubin, argued in Bridgewater provincial court in January for redacted portions of the 36-page document to be released.
But Crown and defence lawyers argued it was in the interest of the public and the administration of justice if the information remained redacted.
In a decision handed down Friday, Judge Paul Scovil said only through media scrutiny can the justice system be held accountable to the public, and he agreed with the CBC's submission that the unredacted document may give a clearer picture of how the scenario played out.
The redactions include the names of the accused, alleged victims, serial numbers and the IP addresses of the electronic devices that were seized by police.
The names of youth cannot be published under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.