**Updated** Truro's Civic Square named Great Places in Canada winner
**Updated at 4:27 p.m.**
Truro's Civic Square has been named the 2017 People's Choice Public Space winner in this year's Great Places in Canada contest.
The national contest from the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) invited the public to vote for a great street, public space, or neighborhood, celebrating their lasting impressions on local communities.
Nominations began on September 5th, followed by public voting through much of October to narrow the field.
The award winning spaces for each Great Place category were then determined by a jury of planners.
The People's Choice winners were determined by voting, and the CIP says over 8,000 votes were cast.
The winners receive a plaque to be displayed in that space.
The 2017 winners from across Canada:
- 2017 Great Street - First Avenue (in Ladysmith, British Columbia)
- 2017 Great Public Space - Town Centre Park (in Coquitlam, British Columbia)
- 2017 Great Neighbourhood - Spring Garden Road/Schmidtville (in Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- 2017 People's Choice Street - Main Street (in Smithers, British Columbia)
- 2017 People's Choice Public Space - Truro Civic Square (in Truro, Nova Scotia)
- 2017 People's Choice Neighbourhood - Spring Garden Road/Schmidtville (in Halifax, Nova Scotia)