A deadly mushroom spotted growing in Victoria

 

A potentially fatal mushroom known as "death cap" has been spotted growing in the Uplands area of Victoria.

Island Health confirms the fungus has already flowered in uplands this July much earlier than usually seen in the area.

Experts are now trying to get the word out to parents and pet owners so they can avoid the fungus, which looks similar to a puffball mushroom when first pushing through the ground.

In October last year, a three-year-old boy consumed the shroom in Victoria and became sick and died in hospital.

Symptoms of ingesting the toxic mushroom include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, liver and kidney failure and possibly death.

The symptom usually appears between six and 24 hours after consumption.

Anyone who believes they’ve consumed a poisonous mushroom is urged to call the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre at 1-800-567-8911 or call 911.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.