Have you inspected your wire barbeque brush lately?

Now that the outdoor grilling season has begun, Health Canada wants you to pay close attention to your barbeque brush.

Bristles have been known to come loose from barbecuing brushes and become stuck in food leading to health concerns for anyone unlucky enough to swallow a loose bristle.

Health Canada first investigated the safety of metal brushes in 2017, identifying 28 incidents of injury in Canada since 2004 that resulted from accidental ingestion.

The national agency advises you regularly replace your brush, and stop using  it brush if bristles come loose or stick to the grill.

In addition, report any incidents involving wire barbecue brushes to Health Canada and to the store that you purchased them from.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.