Lawnmower sparks grass fire in Langford
A grassfire Tuesday afternoon on Latoria Way in Langford was triggered by a spark from a lawnmower.
Fire Chief Chris Aubrey the blaze was growing quickly -- but was brought under control with the help of a nearby work crew:
"It's about 200 feet by 300 feet. So it was growing quite rapidly. We were fortunate that some workers nearby had a water truck, and they were able to at least get to the leading edge of the fire and keep it contained until we got our firefighters here to be able to put the fire out."
Aubrey says it's fortunate the blaze was brought under control quickly as a breeze was moving the flames towards nearby trees.
He says despite a little rain recently and cooler temperatures, conditions remain very dry.