Parents of Victoria teen who died of overdose call for a coroner's inquest
The parents of Oak Bay teen Elliot Eurchuk, who died of an accidental overdose April 20th, are ramping up their calls for change to the health-care system, in order to help prevent another tragedy.
The 16 year old became addicted to opioids after being prescribed pain medications following 4 major sports surgeries, and turned to street drugs. His parents maintain the Child Care Act prevented health officials from informing them about their son's prescriptions/drug use, impacting their ability to help him.
Rachel Staples tells CFAX 1070 her lawyer has written to Solicitor General Mike Farnworth to request a coroner's inquest into her son's death:
" Which, from my understanding, kind of looks at all the systems that may have failed Elliot in his care. So we are hoping that request is granted. Don't know how long that will take, but there's a number of different things that we're requesting within that coroner's inquest."
Meantime Staples says she wants authorities to be more transparent with the results of their investigation.
She and her husband are waiting to hear if results of an Island Health review will be shared with them or not.