Protect pets from icy temperatures

With the drop in temperatures don't forget to protect your pets to keep them safe and out of the vet's office.

One thing to keep in mind -- if it's too cold for you, it's too cold for your pet.

Puppies, senior, small, and short-coated breeds are particularly susceptible to cold.

It's best to keep pets indoors as much as possible to avoid frostbite and exposure to de-icing chemicals.  Rock salt and ice melting products can irritate paws, and can be ingested if you pet licks his or her paws -- and that can cause vomiting.  Spritz your pet's feet with water when they come back inside to wash off the chemicals.

As well, antifreeze is deadly for pets. Clean up spills/leaks immediately and make sure it is stored in a sealed container locked in a secured cabinet. If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze, it's a life and death emergency, and pets should be take to the vet as soon as possible.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.