Saanich shed fire sends smoke and flame 12 metres (40 feet) into the air

Saanich fire crews were called out to a shed fire on Adelaide Avenue just after 7:00 Wednesday morning in the Gorge-Tillicum area.

Witnesses report smoke and flame rising as high as 12 metres (40 feet) in the air.

Captain Aaron Charlton told CTV Vancouver Island that a faulty old fridge sparked an electrical fire, which then fed off the other contents of the shed:

" At this point we do have a determination. The homeowner has a older fridge that was wired up inside, it looks like that fridge was faulty. With all that plastic and propane inside the shed that obviously made the fire quite volatile."

Crews were able to quickly get the blaze under control. But the shed was destroyed and an adjacent  fence damaged.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.