Sooke dog dies of bacterial infection spread by rodent family

The Sooke Veterinary Clinic has posted a warning on its website after a local dog was confirmed to have leptospirosis, a contagious and potentially dangerous bacterial disease typically spread by members of the rodent family.

Leptospirosis is passed through an animal's urine, is easily transmitted to other animals.  Symptoms can include loss of apetite, vomiting, dehydration, fever, bleeding disorders,  diarrhea and in some cases, death.

The bacteria can also be passed to humans -- but that is rare. The illness can be treated easily if confirmed in the early stages.

Although the bacteria has been slowly spreading through Greater Victoria this is the first time a case has been confirmed to have originated in Sooke. 

Sadly, despite emergency intervention at the Central Animal Hospital the dog, named Hope, died yesterday.

You can protect your pet with a vaccine available, but it can be irritating to some animals.  A veterinarian can advise if your pets needs it. Pets getting it also need a booster shot 3 to 4 weeks afterwards.

The Sooke Veterinary clinic is arranging a leptospirosis clinic next Thursday.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.