West Shore RCMP looking for owner of RV that may have "sparked" destructive Sooke wildfire

West Shore RCMP confirm they are looking for the owner of an RV that was reportedly seen dragging something showering sparks along Sooke Rd/Hwy 14 just prior to a destructive wildfire yesterday.

RCMP say they have a license plate number and will be talking to the owner.  The fire stretched along the road for about two kilometres, making it unlikely the blaze was sparked by a cigarette.

CFAX legal analyst Michael Mulligan says sparks would be considered a burning substance under the wildfire act:

" It's punishable by a fine of $575 so you'll want to make sure your RV isn't dropping or releasing a burning substance.  And if it does you've got a duty to put it out if practical - also punishable by a fine."  

The fast-moving bush fire destroyed a thatched-roof cabin, led to evacuations of other homes, and closed the busy commuter route for almost 6 hours while the blaze was dealt with by 5 area fire departments and the BC Wildfire service.

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.