CHEF RICARDO: Cheesy love, two ways - with vodka
PANCETTA AND VODKA MAC & CHEESE
PREPARATION 20 MIN
COOKING 20 MIN
OUTPUT 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
- 375 g (¾ lb) cut macaroni
- 125 g (¼ lb) diced pancetta
- 60 ml (¼ cup) butter
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) tomato paste
- 60 ml (¼ cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) table cream (15 %)
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 125 ml (½ cup) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) vodka (optional)
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) chili powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) paprika
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta al dente. Drain, oil lightly and set aside.
- In a small non-stick skillet, brown the pancetta until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In the same pot that was used to cook the pasta, melt the butter with the tomato paste. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and cream and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and melt, stirring with a whisk. Add the macaroni and simmer for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the vodka, spices and three quarters of the pancetta. Adjust the seasoning. To serve, top with the remaining pancetta.
And if you somehow have leftovers, try this recipe on for size...
MAC & CHEESE GRILLED CHEESE
PREPARATION 10 MIN
COOKING 5 MIN
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter, softened
- 2 slices white bread or loaf bread
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) mac & cheese leftover, at room temperature (see recipe)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) grated Gruyere cheese
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Spread the macaroni and cheese on the unbuttered side of one slice. Add the bacon. Sprinkle with the cheese and close with the slice of bread.
- Brown in a panini grill or in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese has melted.