CHEF RICARDO: Vampire Wings!
PREPARATION 20 MIN
COOKING 45 MIN
MARINATING 2 H
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) whole chicken wings (with tips)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) hot pepper sauce or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) gel-type black food colouring
- Salt and pepper
- Dislocate the 2 joints of each wing to prevent them from retracting during cooking. (The cooked wings will resemble bat wings.) Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large glass baking dish or large freezer bag. Add the chicken and coat thoroughly with marinade. Cover the dish or seal the bag. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a rack on it.
- Arrange the wings on the rack, with the underside of the wings facing up. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with marinade. Bake for about 25 more minutes. For crispy wings, finish cooking under the broiler.