Concordia to launch probe into sexual misconduct allegations
Concordia University says it's launching an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct within its creative writing program that were brought to light earlier this week.
The allegations were made in a blog post Monday by writer and former Concordia student Mike Spry.
University president Alan Shepard at the time said the allegations were "disturbing" and that they were "taking it very seriously."
Shepard repeated that at an afternoon news conference announcing the investigation, as well as a task force looking into the general climate on campus in relation to sexual violence.
Shepard said they'll also be speaking with students, faculty and staff in the department, "to ensure a safe and secure environment within the program."
Shepard said he could not share information about specific individuals and possible sanctions, or if any were taken, because of the ongoing investigation and sensitive nature of the allegations.
Shepard said they're taking action now because he'd only learned about this Monday.
"I'd been reading it's an open secret but it was not an open secret to me and I did my best to pay attention to these kinds of rumours because they're important. And I wasn't aware. If I had been aware, I would have acted sooner," said Shepard.
"In other cases where we have been aware, we have acted."
Results of the task force should be out before the end of the year.